Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Now thats what I call Nutmeg!

I new friend, Anna, suggested a nutmeg muffin. She is apparently a big fan of the spice and subsequently way into silk nog. When i was at the kroger on a recent muffin run i noticed they were still carrying the holiday product. I picked some up and included it in this recipe as a true tribute to my friend Anna. I hope she visit athens again soon so i can make her a batch of these nutmegy muffins.

1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup "butter"
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup "butter milk"
1/2 cup silk nog
2 "eggs"
1 cup walnuts and/or pecans

*preheat oven to 350

Mix 2 cups of flour and brown sugar in a large bowl. Cut in "butter" to form crumbs. Remove 3/4 cup of this mixture and set aside for topping. Add remain dry ingredient including rest of flour. Make a well in center of flour mix and add wet ingredients. Fold in nuts. Spoon into lined muffin tin, sprinkle with topping, and bake for 25 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Cait: Your nutmeg muffins elate!

    Dear Trevor: Your poetic endeavor
    I certainly treasure.
    However,
    You could have been more clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everytime i hear the word 'nutmeg' i automatically think about cooking in the kitchen with frank sr. .... my dad.
    for instance.... when a recipe called for nutmeg.... my dad, under his breathe, says "nutmeg?! what thhheee fahhhhhhkkkkkk iss nutmeggg?!?!?!?!'

    needless to say...
    another exceptional morning of muffins

    ReplyDelete
  3. no complaints, really. a good fall/winter muffin. fairly simple. pleasant aftertaste that makes me feel good about not brushing my teeth.
    6.75 muffins out of 10 muffins

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious! i enjoyed every bit and it gave me super energy at the gym. I'm going to make this one for sure. thanks cait!

    ReplyDelete